[lbo-talk] Sawicky's Math (was Re: Obama on poverty: straightDLC=

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 3 06:52:24 PDT 2008

Doug writes:

> There's a big political and economic difference between universal
> programs - social security, public health insurance - and targeted
> ones like the EITC.

If Social Security isn't "targeted" (last I checked, your benefits were tied to how much you paid into the system over the years) and EITC isn't, then I'll be needing a new dictionary, because AFAICT EITC is "targeted" like a shotgun in an outhouse with the door closed.

If you don't work, you don't get EITC; but you're not going to get Social Security either in that case.

/jordan