[lbo-talk] EU opens Northern Rock investigation

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 11:04:33 PDT 2008

Sean,

Yeah, I am the one that mentioned the squatters on here. Contrast that with the highest home vacancy rate since the US started keeping track in 1956, and squatting hardly even seems radical.

See if there is a local ACORN branch. What are those union-busters doing? Shouldn't they be galvanized in this? Why not galvanize them yourself? (I'm not speaking to you directly, Sean, but to the "audience.")

There should also be greater impetus towards firming up your local tenants' union organization, or starting your own. If you know of a local tenants' union, donate to it or call it up or get involved somehow. And if your apartments, for ex., don't have one, why not flyer the doors and see if one can come together? This is a case where even subprime borrowers in homes need a "union." Again, what's ACORN doing? What can we self-start?

The same ol' same ol' of phoning your representative (not faxing or emailing but phoning) wouldn't hurt.

-B.

Sean Andrews wrote:

"So what would be involved in creating these new institutions? I think that we would need something like the squatters mentioned here a few weeks ago to really get something like this passed (i.e. some hardcore, civil disobedience and threat to the order from below)."