[lbo-talk] Big pharma moves to shut the court house door

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 4 09:21:39 PDT 2008

Woj - While I agree with you on the broad principle that regulation by the central government is generally much better than each little locality having their own separate schemes - for a whole variety of reasons. American Constitutional/Statutory law is, in practice, primarily results oriented. Business tends to support uniform Federal regulation where they think it will be to their advantage and vice-a-versa when the Feds are in control of liberals.Its been that way since at least the Civil War

Exempting big pharma from lawsuits has nothing to do with grand principles of constitutional law or federalism. Immunity from lawsuits is the holy grail of most corporations and often is unattainable. However, where an administrative agency has jurisdiction over the subject, corporations will invariably make the argument that the agency has exclusive jurisdiction that preempts all or most civil lawsuits. Here we have the FDA, so the pre-emption argument is inevitable. What's news here is the fact that the US Supreme Court is buying it. Pharma certainly doesn't need protection as it is one of the most profitable industries on earth. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com>