[lbo-talk] Announcing: 'In the Middle of a Whirlwind: 2008 Convention Protests, Movement and Movements'

Craig-Jesse Hughes craigjessehughes at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 15:07:27 PDT 2008

In the Middle of a Whirlwind: 2008 Convention Protests, Movement and Movements

A one-off online journal of theory, art, activism and organizing to be released May 15th!

www.inthemiddleofawhirlwind.info

In the Middle of a Whirlwind (Whirlwinds) inquires into current organizing efforts in the United States, and through that process, assembles a strategic analysis of current political composition as a tool for building political power.

Whirlwinds' strategic context is this summer's RNC and DNC protests; through these documents and the discussions that erupt from them we hope to directly impact the anti-Convention organizing. In a larger sense, and in the long-term, Whirlwinds is intended to provide a set of useful documents for contemporary radical organizing. Each essay and interview addresses the issues of movement, working class power and composition, and/or gives strategic insight into organizing, and the strengths and weaknesses of current movement/s in the U.S.

Contributions From: Jen Angel | Bay Area Radical Health Collective | Bluestockings Books, Caf� and Activist Center (NYC; written by Malav Kanuga) | George Caffentzis

| Chris Carlsson | Maribel Casas-Cortest & Sebastion Cobarrubias (Counter Cartographies Collective) | Centro de Jornaleros de Freeport (Long Island) | Emma Cosse (Precarity Map Europe) | Crimethinc | Direct Action to Stop the War (San Francisco) | Domestic Workers United & Right to the City Alliance in dialog (facilitated by Harmony Goldberg) | Family Farm Defenders | Silvia Federici | Michael Hardt | The Icarus Project | IWW Starbucks Workers Union| The Journal of Aesthetics and Protest | Just Seeds | El Kilombo Intergal�ctico (Durham, NC) | Latino Health Outreach Project (New Orleans; written by Jennifer Whitney) | Peter Linebaugh | Daniel McGowan | Philly's Pissed | Philly Stands Up (written by Esteban Kelly) | Restorative Justice Community Action (Minneapolis; written by Stevie Peace) | Gigi Roggero (Edu-Factory) | Maggie Schmitt (Precarias a la Dervia)
| Ben Shepard | Basav Sen | smartMeme | Team Colors |
Brian Tokar | Daniel Tucker (AREA Chicago) | US Federation of Workers Cooperatives | United States Social Forum (Documentation Committee; written by Marina Karides) | Interviews with: Ashanti Alston and various anti-RNC/DNC organizers & groups | additional contributors to be announced shortly.

An Open Call to Artists:

We are circulating an open call for artwork, photography, sounds, videos and maps to appear online and in the pages of Whirlwinds as stand-alone work and to accompany articles on contemporary political movements and struggles. Click for the Open Call http://www.scribd.com/full/2400308?access_key=key-1wkf1rk4zvzqo0o75s4b.

An Appeal for Donations:

While Whirlwinds is a free online publication there are still serious costs involved, and with no outside resources or sources of funding, we still need your help to make this a reality. Whirlwinds will be printing and shipping posters and postcards (designed by Just Seeds) to nearly 400 radical spaces(infoshops, bookstores, workers centers, food coops, zine libraries, bike spaces & other community centers) across the U.S. Your contribution toward Whirlwinds ensures making this project a success. Visit www.inthemiddleofawhirlwind.info to make a contribution.

Sign Up for the Email Announcement List:

Sign up for a low traffic announcement list for information and bulletins pertaining to Team Colors Collective, Whirlwinds, and upcoming related events. Visit www.inthemiddleofawhirlwind.info to sign up.

Whirlwinds Flyer:

Participate by circulating this announcement and posting our flyer in infoshops, radical bookstores, community spaces and the like. A poster designed by Just Seeds <http://www.justseeds.org> will be distributed to spaces all across the U.S. in early May, and will be made available on our website. Click for PDF copy of the flyer (11x17) - http://www.scribd.com/full/2417420?access_key=key-1amal4kvdjerq421kk4g ; Click for a PDF version of this announcement - http://www.scribd.com/full/2417460?access_key=key-5raym6x0p0alt80hoav

Coordinated by: Team Colors (Militant Research Collective) - www.warmachines.info

Published by: The Journal of Aesthetics & Protest Press www.thejournalofaestheticsandprotest.org

Journal: whirlwinds at inthemiddleofawhirlwind.info Team Colors: teamcolors at warmachines.info