[lbo-talk] Irrefutable proof that "Stuff White People Like" is the dumbest thing ever

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 09:48:06 PDT 2008

Matt,

You wrote, "if you have to explain humor, well, then.....you probably shouldn't try." There is also the saying that if you have to explain why someone should think something is fnny, maybe it isn't funny. And also that the site in question is a less funny version of http://blackpeopleloveus.com which i got a kick out of in, like, 2001?

You must have totally ignored my other posts on this site, because I did say parts of it were funny. So, to your point that is making fun of "a particular type of white person," my answer is: "No shit."

Organic food, standing still at concerts, Apple computer, world travel -- pretty funny. And I also said it's more like "Stuff white grad students living in coastal utopia cities like," (again, see previous posts) since I was raised in Tennessee & Texas, where "stuff white people like" includes moon pies, chili & fritos, No fear bumper stickers, truck nuts, and the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Not yoga and having multicultural friends.

In fact, rather than repeat myself again, here is the link to the LBO archives where I already addressed basically exactly what you wrote:

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20080310/004845.html

-B.

Matt wrote:

"This site is mocking a particular type of person, who sees themselves as sophisticated, smart, cosmopolitan, and socially-conscious. Probably left-leaning, high-income, college educated, coast-dwelling, and - white!"