[lbo-talk] A new old Cold War?

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 12:08:43 PDT 2008

Yes, those are valid points. But, foreign policy, as someone pointed out earlier, is generally the result of many agents and agendas jostling and moving together, and I think it's somewhat mythical to think of it as a big ruling class idea-package which individual rulers carry around in their heads.

In the case of NATO expansion eastward, I think it's interesting to see some LM executive pushing this before Bzrezinski or Albright, the "philosopher kings" who are supposedly in charge of US foreign policy. It indicates who's influencing the philosopher kings.

The Cold War, as you describe it, was itself half myth, concocted for domestic political ends, pushed by rival military services as well as nascent industrial interests (see James Carrol's House of War.)

BobW

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

Explaining U.S. foreign policy by who benefits from military contracts seems to miss some real points. Like, you know, the whole Cold War was about something? Global power and the nature of the economic system, for example. And today, don't you think the U.S. has an interest in containing the rebirth of Russian power?