[lbo-talk] Lieven on NATO

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 07:53:14 PDT 2008

--- ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This article doesn't even mention the issue of the
> extension of the U.S. missile defence system to
> Poland
> and the Czech Republic. NATO declared it was in
> favor
> of the system. Certainly the Czech public is not in
> favor of the system. I don't know about the Polish
> public. It doesn's seem to matter what the public
> thinks anyway except to measure the temperature of
> the
> great beast at election time.

[WS;} AFAIK, it is a non-issue in Poland. There have been a few minor protets, but the general public does not give a shit one way or the other. It is used mainly as a politicall ping pong in a power struggle between the nationalist right party controlling the presidency (mostly toothless, except foreign policy) and the center-right controlling the office of the Prime Minister and the cabinet. The Left now opposes it (after it was nearly wiped out in elections), but it paved the grounds for it when it controlled the government.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com