[lbo-talk] Hayek, reading suggestions?

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Apr 7 09:52:58 PDT 2008

Thanks. They are all deeply crazy. It is as if their fear of Hegel and Marx turned them paranoid. If even a little bit of Marxism got out it could ruin the whole society. The whole cold war academy was full of this shit.

This academic anti-commie paranoia tainted my whole humanities and arts education. In art history the form it took was anti-hegelianism. The problem here is that Hegel virtually invented cultural studies. This goes to Gombrich's anti-hegelianism. So Gombrich and the UK influenced the US art history view, which got handed down to me. In effect this paranoid stupidity obscured or censored most of the French, German, and Italian art history works.

When I discovered these on my own, I was flabbergasted that they were not really available in standard art history courses. It took me years to figure out this bias.

CG