[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 18:56:54 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> This is such reactionary populism.

Meaning, I can only imagine, populism that doesn't work to your personal benefit.

> There are too damned
> many cars in Manhattan.

And there are too few in, say, Downtown Brooklyn Brooklyn or the South Bronx, where thousands more would have parked if you and Bloomberg had had your way?

> Driving here has to be made more expensive.

At the expense of the lower-income outer-boroughs, of course. Why should public policy prioritize the well-being of your wealthy neighbors above the rest of the city?

> Stop whining and take the subway.

I believe I already mentioned that I take the subway. Would you care to reciprocate by not whining?

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> On this principle, we should subsidize caviar. Hey, poor folks can't afford
> it!

I'm not sure I see the parallel, but sure, why not? I have nothing against fine foods - in fact, I like them decidedly better than bombs and prisons. What do you have against them?