[lbo-talk] Hayek, reading suggestions?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 18:58:44 PDT 2008

OF COURSE all the central European intellectuals knew each other.

Btw for all his limitations Gombrich -- Gombo, as my old Ren-Ref history teacher Tony Grafton used to call him -- was a very great historian, and the leader of a school of great art historians, the Warburg School.

Gombo himself is sort of the art-historical equivalent of the New Criticism in literature (Robert Penn Warren, Cleanth Brooks), which called for exacting attention to the text and its formal structure and to hell with any wider context. This produced, incidentally, some absolutely superb close readings of literary works. (As I discovered studying with Straussians, they picked up thus trick or invented in parallel; it's not a bad tool to have in your kit bag, especially if you are a lawyer!) Gombo read painting the same way, showing you things you'd otherwise never have seen by looking very carefully in the context of a deep knowledge of lots of other paintings. His books are beautiful, and beautifully written.

Not all the Warburgers was so formalistic as Gombo. One thinks of Michael Baxendall (sp?), whose early 70s book on painting in Italy during the plague is a classic of social history, though not Marxist. Or in a sense Tony Grafton himself, not an art historian although he did write a book on Alberti, but definitely deeply marked by Warburg training -- and both alert to social history and class analysis and not in principle at all hostile to Marx and Hegel. Though Hegel is one of the few things I venture to say that Tony knows nothing about.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0268/is_n6_v34/ai_18163694/pg_6