[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Apr 7 22:02:33 PDT 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008 23:30:14 Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
>
> > But driving? Where's the case for making that free to the consumer?
> > It actually does cost the society quite a lot, you know, in many ways
>
> Fine and good. So why penalize it only in the city's wealthiest
> neighborhoods - and more specifically, by "outsiders" in those
> neighborhoods? Both you and Doug seem to be going out of your ways to
> duck this most obvious of questions.

Personally, I'd like to see driving cost more everywhere. The case for a "congestion charge" that applies to the densest parts of the city is that those are the parts where the resource (car space) is so scarce that the need for some kind of rationing is most urgent. I suppose the alternative to a fee is some kind of administrative rationing, but that sounds nightmarish.

The big deal about it, to my way of thinking, is that it's the thin end of the wedge. Once you begin to establish the principle of internalizing the social costs of driving, you're on your way to dethroning the car.

Paying eight bucks to encumber some of the crowdedest street space in the world with a ton of metal doesn't actually seem so outrageous. A peak-hour round-trip ride from White Plains to Grand Central on the Metro-North railway costs more than twice that, and nobody regards this as an outrage, though there's a much better case for making the train ride free than for keeping Midtown driving free.