[lbo-talk] congestion pricing: the class angle

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Apr 8 09:51:20 PDT 2008

> [Dwayne asked from some data. Here's some. Granted, it's from
> officialdom, but if anyone has any better data, please supply.]

I don't know if you trust the Daily News any more than you trust Officialdom, but here's an interesting article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/22/2007-10-22_mayor_says_congestion_plan_will_raise_39-4.html

"New York's cost projections changed several times from January

to April, when Bloomberg first threw his support behind the plan.

An early draft estimated that 44.4% of the system's revenue would

be swallowed by operating costs, but by April, the figure was down

to 35.2%."

"While the mayor's plan assumes it will cost $232 million a year

to operate the system, just two little tweaks in the model -

four sensors per trip, and 75cents to read a license plate -

would raise the cost to $685 million per year, leaving nothing

for mass transit. City profit would also be squeezed if the MTA

or Port Authority raises tolls on bridges and tunnels, because

those tolls are credited against the congestion pricing fee."

"MTA Executive Director Elliot Sander has said he expects

congestion pricing to raise $100 million to $200million for

mass transit - not enough to cover the agency's extra costs."

Doug quotes:

>> Myth: A majority of non-Manhattan residents rely on their cars
>> to commute to Manhattan.

Speaking of strawmen ...

Anyway, now that it didn't pass, we can talk about better ways to raise money to pay for transit.

/jordan