[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Apr 8 09:58:10 PDT 2008

Michael Smith says:

> Sounds like the problem here is the graft, not the technology.

Hah! Welcome to reality.

> Does anybody have info on the EZPass system used here
> in New York?

Here's the NY Times:

E-ZPass System Faces $65 Million Deficit, and Its Success Is Partly to Blame http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F06EEDB163FF93AA35751C1A9669C8B63

"''The reality is that if you use something more it costs

more, and I think that's the situation we're in,'' said

James W. Weinstein Jr., the New Jersey transportation

commissioner."

Here's New Hampshire:

http://www.nhpr.org/node/9284

"In place only a week, the EZ-Pass program is already far

outstripping anticipated costs. The growing outlay is

one reason the state's top transportation official has

suspended all scheduled turnpike maintenance."

Here's New Jersey:

http://users.nac.net/jmp/tollfree/ezpass.html

"Do you know how much $488 million is? $50 for every man,

woman, and child in New Jersey! Money that will not be

used for road construction, maintenance, repair, or anything

of value, but only for "improved" ways of collecting our money.

Not only that, this money will be leaving New Jersey. The

E-ZPass contract was awarded to MFS Technologies of Omaha. So

much for the time honored argument that tolls bring in money

from out of state drivers. Now tolls take our money out of state!"

[ ... ]

/jordan