[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

sawicky at verizon.net sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 12:18:55 PDT 2008

Manhattan is congested, you need congestion charges.   The technology  should advance to the point where it is cheap, if it isn't now (which I doubt).  You could use the money to provide a flat rebate to drivers that preserves the price penalty of entering the forbidden zone at the forbidden times and address the equity concern.  For cars already in the city, tax parking & gas more, raise parking fees so it becomes more economical to use Zipcar or somesuch when you absolutely have to have a car.

In principle how you finance anything and how you set or alter prices to change behavior are separate issues.

There is too much driving, too much fossil fuel consumption, the only remedy is to make cars more expensive and other means less so.

There will be a serious crunch in a year or so because the Hightway Trust Fund turns to deficit, at which time there will more pressure to exploit tolls and fuel taxes of all types.

"Now when I die I don't want no coffin,  I've thought about it all too often;  Just strap me in behind the wheel  and bury me in my automobile . . . "