[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Apr 8 14:51:46 PDT 2008

At 04:18 PM 4/8/2008, Michael Smith wrote:
>On Tuesday 08 April 2008 16:01:01 Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
> > I believe, however, that transportation infrastructure (along with a
> > host of other things, all of them Good For You And Yours) ought to be
> > significantly subsidized by the government.
>
>So... users should bear internalized transportation costs apart from
>"infrastructure", which should come out of the general fund?
>
>What's the reasoning here? A dollar is a dollar,
>whether it goes for "infrastructure" or operating cost, no?

well, then why not? Jordan's saying that the people who support a use tax are doing so because they *also* want to punish people in order to change their behavior.

_they_ aren't treating a dollar as a dollar. They are treating dollars as a source of funds and a source of education (discpline)

Jordan seems to be arguing that this is ineffective, *especially* when it comes to those with plenty of surplus cash. they will insist on driving for the status benefit, cost be damned.

worse, this way of collecting the dollars that are just dollars turns out to have costs associated with it that you woouldn't have if you collected the dollars another way.

i think i've got that right. admittedly i am not giving this my full attention. sorry jord.