[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Apr 8 16:34:13 PDT 2008

At 07:15 PM 4/8/2008, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> >> The filth in NYC subway system
> >
> > Eh? I'm on it every day and I bear no traces of filth that I can
> > notice.
>
>Be careful where you step! :-)
>
> > I'm wearing a clean pressed blue shirt at the moment too.
>
>It's April. Talk to us in July. :-)

and Doug doesn't have to worry about gropers, no doubt! Or the guys who sidle up next to you and press themselves into your ass. :)

>The NYC Subway is way cleaner than it was even 10 years ago (let alone
>when I lived there 15-20 ago), but it's no Paris Metro, not by a long
>shot.

admittedly, i'm basing this on my experience of ten years and twenty years ago, so things may have changed. it's also because I am a stain magnet. If I have to be pressed and starched for an important event, I would inevitably sit next to someone with a coffee cup that goes flying on me. or more likely: me spilling on myself. (as happened just two weeks ago. I bought a "spill proof" mug. ha ha ha. I took a sip, it dribbled straight down a brand new blouse. rushed to the bathroom to rinse and then looks like a wet t-shirt contest contestant for the morning. whee!

also: i might need to go on what not to wear and learn how to do my shoulder length hair in a way that withstands humidity. a 20 minute ride in a morning humid southern area, ugh. I'd look like something the cat dragged in by the time i got to work. :)

this would be my vain! reasons for driving. alas, i'm a much bigger tightwad.

(also, by Doug's professed ideals, I wouldn't be vain -- a female dandy -- because it is really about caring about the environment of others. i simply don't want to inflict my humid-limp hair all over others ability to enjoy the aesthetics of our mutual office space. having to work next to something the cat dragge din all day, i might get accused of being ... a slob. :)