[lbo-talk] Bible the most popular book in Amerika

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 05:53:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/lf_nm_life/reading_survey_dc
> >
> > [WS:] Disgusting, but not surprising.
>
> Back in the late 1970s when I taught a couple of sections of English
> at UVa, I was amazed at how little the students knew of the Bible. I
> knew more of it than they did. They say they love and read the Good
> Book, but, aside from a hard core, I'm not sure they really do.

I agree. It is likely just something people say because they think it makes them look like they aren't really illiterate dolts. It would actually probably be much better if the people who think that is a good thing to say were actually reading it since they'd be less likely to get bamboozled by the kooks who use it politically.

In general, I'm unimpressed with few of the other books. #2 amongst women is "Gone w/ the Wind." far worse than the bible, IMHO.