[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 08:54:12 PDT 2008

--- James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> A sense of proportion helps in transport
> discussions. In 2005 US passenger
> miles by transit were 49,680 million; by highway
> 4,884,557 million, about

[WS:] James, I know that you love the suburban life style and its enabler - the automobile, so nothing that anyone says here can convince you. But let me point to you that your comparison is somewhat misguided - we are talkig about NYC here not the US. The US as a whole does not have the transit infrastructure to provide an alternative to driving, NYC does. So you need to compare passenger miles in the NY metropolitan area, not the US as a whole.

Wojtek