[lbo-talk] NYblocks mayor's congestion plan

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 10:59:41 PDT 2008

Wojtek: 'we are talking about NYC here not the US'.

And as far as NYC goes, I agree with you - transit is what people want (the two thirds of them that do not commute by car).

I am only saying that what is right for NYC is not necessarily a model that can be reproduced readily elsewhere.

So when Doug says that a one per cent reduction of highway journeys is a start, I would say that he is not really taking seriously what that would mean for transit: a doubling of its size. Who really imagines that transit is going to double in size, or even that highway use is likely to reduce? More likely, it will continue to increase.