[lbo-talk] more populist nuance

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Wed Apr 9 12:14:51 PDT 2008

[this is just the conclusion!]

Over the Top Fed Actions Feed Conspiracy Thinking

By Scott Thill

<http://www.alternet.org/workplace/80501/?page=1>

[...]

And that is where this depression gets scarier than any we have survived so far, in America's comparatively short history. With the onset of global warming about to throw huge parts of the United States into environmental disarray, and melting ice about to create a gold rush of insane proportions in parts northward, America may have entered the beginning of a phase of its existence that has no parallel to any yet experienced. With the Bush administration and its friends in the energy, banking, housing, finance and real estate sectors cashing out what remains of American solvency and offloading its debt onto the public, the future has become one giant question mark. And it won't matter who takes the reins of the United States going forward if the newly crowned candidate doesn't start coming up with some serious resolutions.

We are entering uncharted territory on a variety of fronts, although the economic one is hitting most Americans where it hurts at the moment. But that throbbing pain has barely subsided behind our previous ills, from our rampant, expensive militarism in the Middle East to tornadoes or floods that seemingly come out of nowhere to destroy our cities, crops and futures. And if that doesn't scare you, I have a house I need to flip your way, no questions asked.

"No one is going to come out of this unscathed," concludes Schechter. "This is a disaster. It's a 50-state Katrina, and then some."