[lbo-talk] Eyes on the Prize

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Apr 9 12:43:34 PDT 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

> I think Capitalism (capital C) functions in Carrol's
> private religion as Satan in a fallen world. It's a
> very calvinist worldview he's got: the fallenness;
> evil present everywhere, all with one source;
> redemption will arrive mysteriously from some place in
> the future and we can't really affect its coming, but
> we have to work hard anyway so we can be saved. Damn,
> it is a form of secularized calvinism, it really is.

Yup. Years ago at a summer meeting of the Marxist Literary Group many

of us listened in awed silence as a guy recounted his evolution from fundie Protestantism to revolutionary Marxism (I think he was a PLP type). For him, there wasn't all that much of a transition - he just transferred the goal of his apocalypticism from End Times to the Revolution. Sometimes Cde Cox comes off like that.

Doug

^^^^^ CB: Oh , I get it. I think you guys are the first to ever claim that Marxists follow a " religious" dogma. Your thinking is just so much more critical than Carrol's is.