[lbo-talk] NYblocks mayor's congestion plan

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 13:59:11 PDT 2008

--- Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I know foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of
> little minds, but how
> do you get to the loving it part from the story you
> told?

[WS:] That is rather simple. If they did not like their cars, they would be demanding alternatives. AFAIK the opposite is true, most people love cars and driving, have negative feelings toward public transit, and do not mind sitting in traffic, as per the following conversation overheard in a barber shop:

Person 1: I commute to work from X (locality about 30 miles from "work").

Person 2: How do you manage it? The traffic is pretty bad there.

Person 1: Yes, but I do not mind it. I just listen to my music.

Of all people I met in Amerika, only a few lbo-sters, a friend from NYC, and my current girlfriend say they do not like cars and driving. Virtually everyone else I met either loved them or preferred them to any other means of transportation.

But if you want something more than anecdotes, there is the cognitive dissonance state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance in which people often start liking something that they previously disliked if they are compelled to engage in it without a good justification.

Wojtek