[lbo-talk] brain teaser

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 9 15:10:55 PDT 2008

this is fascinating. so glad i threw it out for discussion.

point of order also: we asked why they even had handguns for the trip. what on earth would you need to shoot at on the moon? they obviously don't bring handguns as propulsion devices, since there are other ways to get that effect. But in this case, the equipment that is supposed to be used for an emergency, less than ideal landing on the moon, has been destroyed in a rough landing.

Thus, the test was how creative you were with what you had left and then how good you were at prioritizing in the event you couldn't carry everything. (Anyone who works in the tech industry under tight deadlines, understaffed, with less than ideal equipment/tools can relate. :)

note: I would be nearly dead had I not had a team with members who knew more about the moon's atmosphere than I remembered from high school. :) i'm such a tool.

Anyway, the minor point was that, while a handgun might be less than ideal, it was on the ship in the event that the emergency landing was on earth. if you landed in the jungle or in enemy territory or in the Andes, a handgun might be a good thing to have to 1. fend off predators. 2. hunt for food and 3. fend off enemies in hostile territory. (Which is also why we had a life raft. useless on the moon for its intended purposes -- flotation on water in the event of a water landing on earth), but a reasonable thing to have because.......

you could use the canister of CO2 used to inflate the raft for propulsion and/or use it for protection from heat and/or inclement weather.