[lbo-talk] worst president ever?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Apr 9 16:15:13 PDT 2008

At 4:34 PM -0400 8/4/08, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> > What about Reagan ? Hard to get worse than he was. Bush is just a little
>> Reaganite.
>>
>> Charles
>
>I agree, but according to legend, Reagan won the Cold War. W. can barely
>hold onto Iraq.

Maybe Reagan doesn't deserve all the credit for winning the cold war, but at least he didn't stuff it up completely. Bush stuffed up the "war on terror" by deciding to invade Iraq before the US had finished dealing with the Taliban. Then getting confused about who the enemy of that war was and including just about the whole world. He stuffed up the war in Iraq by trying to do it on the cheap. He has completely rooted America's international standing by turning America into an advocate and practitioner of torture. He has rooted the American economy by trying to engage in all all these wars and military build-ups while at the same time cutting the taxes necessary to pay for them and privatising what little war plunder from Iraq there has been as a result of his idiotic management of the conquered nation.

He's a complete fuck-wit. A moron, his advisors have all been idiots, or weak-willed crawlers, or in many cases absolute stark raving lunatics, like Rumsfield and Cheney.

He's a total disaster. But America has had some pretty awful presidents before (what was the name of that President (Grant?) who went broke investing in pyramid schemes in the 19th century, former general or something I believe) so Bush has some stiff competition for absolute worst president.

Its has to get harder for America's enemies when Bush is replaced. Although Bush has added staggering numbers of people to the ranks of America's enemies.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas