[lbo-talk] London's congestion boondoggle

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 22:23:46 PDT 2008

Among those "investments" in London's transport system paid for out of the congestion charge is the sterling two million contract paid to former CIA operative and now transport consultant Bob Kiley.

Kiley admits that his consultancy fees, which translate to an annual salary of £737,000, are difficult to justify. He said: "If you ask me what I actually do to earn my consultancy, I'd have to tell you, in all honesty, 'not much'. " Mr Kiley earned £3.9 million during his time as transport commissioner and continues to live rent free in a graceandfavour Belgravia townhouse. He got a £2million severance deal and he was retained as a 90 day a year consultant to the Mayor after he quit. Kiley, 72, says he starts drinking vodka in the afternoons, "and once I've lost control it's hard to pull back".

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23390636-details/%C2%A33k-a-day+Tube+chief+admits:+I'm+an+alcoholic/article.do