[lbo-talk] London's congestion boondoggle

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Apr 10 07:27:35 PDT 2008

> I have no idea, however, how one could justify
> opposition to gasoline taxes and yet manage to
> be taken seriously.

I think it's very simple: we've built a society that demands the use of cars. Until we un-do that, it's unfair to punish some for doing what they have no choice but to do. If we abolished gasoline taxes today, you see it as giving rich people a free-ride; I see it as lifting a burden off the working poor. We can get back to nailing the richies in other more direct and efficient ways, if that's your only convern about being taken seriously.

I think that for me to be taken seriously, all I think I need to show you is that a) it would help the working poor and b) it wouldn't help the rich. I think it also would be an effective tool for pointing out that _an alternative must be presented_ before the punishment can be metted out.

I freely admit that gasoline taxes are here to stay; all I'd ask is that they not be used more, and that alternatives exist and ought to be employed. But if I were the one being asked: gasoline taxes would go tomorrow.

/jordan