[lbo-talk] CNA thug arrested in union raid

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 09:12:39 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Slapping someone, and stepping on a foot - thuggish behavior? Brass
> knuckles or blows to the kidneys - that's thuggery!

Yeah, bad choice of words on my part. Certainly didn't want to give credence to the stereotype of "union thug," no matter how apt in this particular situation. And it's not just SEIU CNA is currently trying to raid -- seems as if they're trying to take AFSCME's public hospital members in Houston:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5685564.html

Evidently "RNs need their own organization," and shouldn't be in the same union as darker, dirtier and less skilled hospital workers. FYI, a few years ago the CNA successfully raided the INA's unit at Cook County in Chicago. They weren't in the AFL at that time, and don't know exactly how the AFL's no-raid clause Article 20 might apply to Harris County.