[lbo-talk] Dean Baker's Senate testimony: own-to-rent

Eric Draitser ericdraitser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:39:34 PDT 2008

I do so wish this proposal were feasible but i just cant see how it can be. I don't believe that banks "don't want to be landlords", in fact it seems to me to be exactly the opposite. Now i certainly dont want to oversimplify a complex issue but in very basic terms this is a land grab in the same way the property foreclosures were at the onset of the Depression. Sure, many many banks also went under but they were consolidated into larger, more central banks (i.e. Chase Manhattan/JP Morgan - both of which made a killing gobbling up equity). Now please correct me if you think im mistaken here, but the central banks that pumped liquidity into the housing market allowing other banks to dole out the subprime mortgages are going to be able to reap benefits here by keeping any equity and also foreclosing and taking ownership of property. This is classic predatory capitalist tactics the blueprint for which was 1930-1935 when the filthy rich got filthier. Though i readily admit im not an expert on mortgage lending, the historical precedent seems clear enough.