[lbo-talk] Soros

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Apr 12 13:53:34 PDT 2008

>> Warren Buffet has done nearly as well--and over a longer
>> period--with absolutely *no* speculation.
>
> If we define "speculation," as Keynes does, as "the activity
> of forecasting the psychology of the market," then I don't
> think this claim is not quite accurate.

My definition (IMHO) is even simpler: there are only two kinds of participants in markets ... specs and hedgers. Hedgers participate because they must; specs do so because they can. Warren Buffet is clearly a speculator.

The only non-speculator in modern equity markets is typically the company itself[*], and only on the day of their IPO (or secondary offerings).

/jordan [*] There are of course exceptions, such as companies whose business plan is speculation itself ...