[lbo-talk] Comparative Mcdonaldsology

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 19:12:29 PDT 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

> Can somebody tell me what a Mickey D's employee earns

> nowadays in the States? I want to see how it stacks up

> to Moscow.

They're offering $7.75 for new hires down the road from where I live. Florida minimum wage is $6.79 this year, as compared with the Federal minimum wage of $5.85.

That difference is due to a state constitutional amendment from the 2004 election which immediately bumped it up a dollar over the then-existing Federal minimum and thereafter tied it to a BLS consumer price index.

The newspapers were full of rubbish like this:

http://www.tampatrib.com/News/MGBHQEAF70E.html

probably paid for by this one fabulously rich asshole, I forget his name, who ran a bunch of restaurant chains (Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba's, etc.). He spent something like $300,000 lobbying against being forced to pay his sub-minimum-wage waiters and waitresses a dollar more than the $2.13 an hour he was paying them before. $2.13 an hour! Fucker can't die soon enough.

I couldn't believe that amendment passed here in Florida

Way down upon the Suwannee River Far far away That's where my heart is turning ever

but it did and by a glorious seventy percent!

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net