[lbo-talk] ABC/Post Poll: Bush Defeats Truman

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 07:19:02 PDT 2008

Charles Brown:

Yea, but don't you hate Obama more than Truman, Bush, McCain, Clinton ,Clinton or any of 'em ? He's such an elitist, and they're all so down to earth.

Seriously?

You really think that Doug (or anyone else here, for that matter) not only "hates" Obama but hates him more than the pirates, crime bosses and mass murderers you listed?

If so, how frustrating.

Several of us have carefully tried to explain our concerns about Sen. Obama's campaign -- specifically, its very debatable claim to being the vanguard of a new progressive movement. But in spite of these efforts (which have consistently taken the opposite, happier view into account) we return, once again, to this threadbare business of 'hating' the Senator.

It seems it's time again to wake the shade of Foucault:

Michel Foucault: What is tiresome in ideological arguments is that one is necessarily swept away by the "model of war." That is to say that when you find yourself facing someone with ideas different from your own, you are always led to identify that person as an enemy (of your class, your society, etc.). And we know that it is necessary to wage combat against the enemy until triumphing over him. This grand theme of ideological struggle has really disturbed me. First of all because the theoretical coordinates of each of us are often, no, always, confused and fluctuating, especially if they are observed in their genesis.

[...]

.d.