[lbo-talk] Frontline compares US healthcare to other rich countries

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 07:25:21 PDT 2008

Ironically, Charles Brown was just bashing Truman, and the guy deserves it for, say, Nagasaki at the least, but Truman, it should be noted, proposed Universal health Care for all US citizens a couple of months after WW2 ended. He called it a part of "The Fair Deal," his extension of FDR's "New Deal."

============

From: http://www.trumanlibrary.org/publicpapers/index.php?pid=483&st=&st1=

192. Truman's Special Message to the Congress Recommending a Comprehensive Health Program

November 19, 1945

In my message to the Congress of September 6, 1945, there were enumerated in a proposed Economic Bill of Rights certain rights which ought to be assured to every American citizen.

One of them was: "The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health." Another was the "right to adequate protection from the economic fears of . .. sickness ...."

Millions of our citizens do not now have a full measure of opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health. Millions do not now have protection or security against the economic effects of sickness. The time has arrived for action to help them attain that opportunity and that protection.

-B.

Michael Pollak wrote:

"On tonight on PBS, gets a good review. The review doesn't mention Sicko, but I assume Frontline must have considered this something of a testing of Moore's argument, and it seems they end up confirming him: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/arts/television/15sick.html "