[lbo-talk] ABC/Post Poll: Bush Defeats Truman

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Apr 15 07:53:46 PDT 2008

"Dwayne Monroe"

Seriously?

^^^^ You know; email seriously. ^^^^

You really think that Doug (or anyone else here, for that matter) not only "hates" Obama but hates him more than the pirates, crime bosses and mass murderers you listed?

^^^^ I'd estimate that in the last two or three months anti-Obama posts from Doug here outnumber anti-McCain, anti-Clinton, anti-Bush, anti-pirates, anti-crime boss,anti-mass murder posts from Doug about 25 to one. It is truly bizarre, very hard to explain. It's like he searches the internet for every single little anti-Obama thing he can find. I really wasn't paying much attention to Obama until I got all these anti-O posts mainly from Doug H. and others here on lbo-talk. Hatred is about the only explanation I can come up with for it. It certainly is not justified by a cogent analysis of the issues and candidates. What's your explanation of the blizzard of anti-O posts ?

^^^^

If so, how frustrating.

^^^ If you are frustrated or bitter try clinging to your religion or guns ( smile).

^^^^^

Several of us have carefully tried to explain our concerns about Sen. Obama's campaign -- specifically, its very debatable claim to being the vanguard of a new progressive movement. But in spite of these efforts (which have consistently taken the opposite, happier view into account) we return, once again, to this threadbare business of 'hating' the Senator.

^^^^ Yea, I got your explanation a few times last month or so. They are a bit threadbare, as you put it. How about a few criticisms of McCain and Clinton ? What problems do you have with McCain and Clinton ? I think we have a pretty good idea of your criticism of Obama. It's getting to be repetitive , and as I said to you before, not very convincing. It certainly doesn't justify banging on Obama almost exclusively with nary a word about McCain, Clinton, Clinton, Bush , Truman, anybody else. The focus on Obama has long been in obsession territory.

What's your explanation for only banging on O and not the others, other than hatred ? obsession ?

^^^^

It seems it's time again to wake the shade of Foucault:

^^^ Well, I doubt it , but lets see what Mike said that you find pertinent.

^^^^

Michel Foucault: What is tiresome in ideological arguments is that one is necessarily swept away by the "model of war." That is to say that when you find yourself facing someone with ideas different from your own, you are always led to identify that person as an enemy (of your class, your society, etc.). And we know that it is necessary to wage combat against the enemy until triumphing over him. This grand theme of ideological struggle has really disturbed me. First of all because the theoretical coordinates of each of us are often, no, always, confused and fluctuating, especially if they are observed in their genesis.

[...]

^^^^^ So, are you suggesting that Doug is identifying Obama as his enemy , and waging war on him ?