[lbo-talk] leftolaborland scandals!

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 11:41:07 PDT 2008

At 11:16 AM 4/15/2008, Jim Straub wrote:

>If I -was- still working for seiu, I wouldn't have time
>to lie to you and make up imaginary stories doug, I'd be out talking
>to those workers for twelve hours every day like rachel is today while
>you and I wage the proletarian struggle from our keyboards.

I've heard this "talking to workers 12 hours a day" line so many times. You've made the usually implicit distinction of real work i.e. "talking to workers 12 hours a day" and peripheral work i.e. "struggle from our keyboards" explicit this time so thanks for that.

I've come to the opinion that making this distinction is very often a form of activistism. This is not based only on what you and others have said on this list. It comes mostly from talking to people (not 12 hours a day though) who got burned out on organizing for a variety of reasons.

Everytime I hear "talking to workers 12 hours a day" I wonder what time is left for figuring out what is being talked about.