[lbo-talk] leftolaborland scandals!

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:12:36 PDT 2008

No, let me be clearer--- I don't regard leftist navel-gazing babble periferal work at all. Many people do important work from a keyboard. Do you think this is? Keep in mind I include my own bloviating in that characterization. Sometimes its fun to bloviate. : ) But that doesn't make it movement work, peripheral or not.

> I've heard this "talking to workers 12 hours a day" line so many
> times. You've made the usually implicit distinction of real work
> i.e. "talking to workers 12 hours a day" and peripheral work i.e.
> "struggle from our keyboards" explicit this time so thanks for that.
>
> I've come to the opinion that making this distinction is very often a
> form of activistism. This is not based only on what you and others
> have said on this list. It comes mostly from talking to people (not
> 12 hours a day though) who got burned out on organizing for a variety
> of reasons.

Well I regard -your- distinction-making as activistismism! So there!

> Everytime I hear "talking to workers 12 hours a day" I wonder what
> time is left for figuring out what is being talked about.

Certainly, you would prefer to spend the 12 hours figuring out what to talk about. I'd say that's the left's approach in general. How's that working out, by the way?

Ok that was snotty I'm sorry. Still.