[lbo-talk] McCain reads lbo-talk?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:25:02 PDT 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Huh, that's what I get for believing Yahoo!

> Marketplace just did the math on-air and it's

> more like $180M ... so now I'm much more for it!

> Look at what little amount of money it is!

Wow, that's some interesting "math." According to this:

http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_04_05.html

in 2006 the U.S.A. burned up 175 billion gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel in motor vehicles. 175 billion divided by 365 times equals 480 million gallons a day. The chart doesn't show which part what fraction

is gasoline, taxed at $0.184 per gallon, and what part is diesel, taxed at $0.244 per gallon, but the floor value for the total tax revenue would be 480 million gallons times $0.184 per gallon or $88-million per day. There are 99 days between Memorial Day and Labor Day this year, so we're talking in excess of $8.7-billion.

yrs WDK