[lbo-talk] craft unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 16 05:42:07 PDT 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:19 PM, MICHAEL YATES wrote:

> I do not see what is wrong with the CNA organizing nurses or what
> is necessarily good
> about SEIU organizing nurses in the first place.

Indeed.

And something I don't get about the Ohio affair... Steve Early says CHP cancelled the election that it essentially called. Steven Greenhouse, in his writeup of the Dustup in Dearborn in today's NYT, says that SEIU cancelled it. Which is it? And in any case, if SEIU's roots in Ohio were so deep, after all those years of organizing, why would the CNA's parachuting in at the last minute and chatting up some nurses "interfere" with the election? Early says that the employer cancelled the election because they wanted a clean endorsement of a company union and the CNA threatened that. The cancellation of the election sure fits with that analysis better than the SEIU's explanation, I gotta say.

Doug