[lbo-talk] craft unions

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 16 07:43:07 PDT 2008

On Apr 16, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Mark Rickling wrote:
> ...SEIU didn't want the vote to go forward because...[nurses having
> become aware of a CNA alternative] workers would have voted against
> the union...

> ...smart, sophisticated unions...let a company's workers have a free
> and fair election...
> ...prevent CHP from engaging in a host of bad business practices,
> including preventing their workers from having a free and fair
> election...

> ...the decision to agree to a free and fair union election was not
> one CHP reached easily. So we didn't build committee in each and
> every CHP hospital...

The SEIU's Stalinist conception of "free and fair" is nakedly on display here for all to see. An employer-blessed *Ja* vote with no alternative on the ballot and any dissent slandered (for lack of police power to arrest the counterrevolutionaries) as "union busting." The very notion that, for an election to be free and fair, the CNA (and any other union seeking to represent the workers) should be on the ballot is as alien to SEIU leadership and the rest of the union bureaucracy as the notion that, for the US election to be "free and fair," Ralph Nader should be on the ballot and participate in "Presidential Debates" is to the Dumbocratic establishment and their Labor lieutenants.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos