[lbo-talk] LBO's Union Experts, I Call Upon Ye!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:56:18 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Marvin Gandall wrote:
>

> Why not bureaucratic inertia and comfortable fatness? Organizing is
> expensive and troublesome. For a lot of labor leaders, why not just
> collect a six-figure salary and hope the dues keep coming in until
> it's time to retire?

This description of union leadership is probably correct, but it provides no evidence that (a) that under present conditions thought of other leadership is purely speculative and or (b) that even given such leadership union growth would follow.

Recognition of the strength of capital, the weakness of labor, independently of strategies, leaders etc is simply a precondition for thinking ckearly about the world we live in now.

Carrol