[lbo-talk] class snobbery

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Apr 16 17:45:51 PDT 2008

it's bullshit, also, since, at least in the case of my mother, this professionalization thing was _precisely_ the tack nurses took more than twenty years ago. If you recall, 20 years ago and more, nurses were poorly paid. The way they fought that was to professionalize (for good or ill....), demanding respect especially from physicians, etc. And it was the professionalization ethos that helped build a sense of solidarity and sense of _deservingness_. (I have issues with professionalization as a tactic groups have historically used to gain power, but the fact is, it's the way that has worked -- and in fact did work. Nurses turned their field into one people went to because of the relatively decent pay, etc. etc. -- which wasn't something you could say 30 years ago about nursing. When I was teaching sociology of work to nursing students in the mid- and late-90s, they were all also very active in making sure that orderlies, etc. were part of the professionalization process, too. IOW, they were already very aware that they didn't want to reproduce the relationship they'd once had (and still have sometimes) with doctors -- who looked down their noses at them) -- with orderlies. As Idelson says below, too, it's not based on thin air: it's based on the principles of patient care -- they make some attempt to figure out what are best practices for the patient (and their families), which is why they work of nursing is being increasingly hiearchized into various layers: Nurse Practitioners, RNs, LPNs, Nurse's Assistants, etc. It definitely has its drawbacks, but it can be a necessary thing. E.g., right now my mother is going through a series of training programs on something or other as required by law to keep her license up-to-date.

Anyway, this was what I found fascinating about watching my mom graduate from nursing school: they way they built into their code of ethics an identification with the public trust. that, in exchange for being given the degree and title and right to perform certain procedures on people's bodies, they were entrusted with power and had a responsibility to wield that power in a way consistent with public needs. yadda.