[lbo-talk] LBO's Union Experts, I Call Upon Ye!

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Apr 17 11:52:55 PDT 2008

> Ditto for social solidarity networks and unionism.
> My
> argument is that social solidarity networks were
> taken
> for granted in the earlier days of unionism, because
> they had always been there, brought in by European
> immigrants and reproduced in the new world. It is
> only when capitalism destroyed these networks
> through
> massive suburbanization and consumerism (both
> conscious efforts of USG to counteract "communist"
> influences)
> ^^^^^
> CB: This is an example of a an actual ruling class
> conspiracy, and
> thereby Wojtek espouses a valid conspiracy
> hypothesis.

[Ws:] I am not sure if this is tongue in cheek, but my claim is based on an academic source: Elaine Tyler May "Homeward bound" (for a review see: http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/history/johnson/gcetmay.htm )

who attributes the policy of suburbanization to Nixon's effort to counteract communism.

Wojtek

^^^^^ CB: Not tongue in cheek . What you say is important, and should be discussed more often on the left , and not suppressed or censored as socalled conspiracy theory.

My post is a contribution to the argument that the

current generalized disdain on the left for so-called

on the left is a foolish aping of the monopoly media and Reagan era ideological stupidity. There are many substantive conspiracies

by the ruling class that should be included

in left analyses such as you do here. Good

point you make. There are many conscious

efforts of the USG to counteract communist

( no quotes) and other influences. The ruling class has a lot of "agency", and does not operate as an impersonal "system" at many levels. To fail to learn this would be to fail to learn from history.