[lbo-talk] CNA responds to Mark Rickling

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 17 14:40:15 PDT 2008

[I forwarded Mark Rickling's recent comments to the CNA press person, Chuck Idelson, who responds...]

some responses:

1- on the ratio law. in California, in 1999 in the final days of the legislative session, SEIU lobbyists went into legislative offices with Kaiser to lobby legislators to vote against the bill, they wanted them to vote it down. after the law was passed, in hearings by the state health department they tried to water the intent of the law by having LVNs included in the count. while LVNs are important caregivers, there is a difference, a significant difference, in their expertise and education, and their legal role and ability to act in the interest of the patient and not the employer. SEIU tries to eradicate that distinction with the charge that CNA promotes elitism, but they ignore the serious patient care implications under corporate healthcare, and mock their own RN members when they say that. SEIU also lobbied against a bill we sponsored that would have significantly increased penalties for hospitals that willfully violate the law. and it's not just California, SEIU also lobbied against a ratio law in Massachusetts that the Massachusetts Nurses Association has valiantly tried to pass for years.

2- the argument that SEIU has the best RN contracts in the nation is far from true. they themselves did a survey about a year ago that they did national press on and reported that something like five of the six best regional areas for RN compensation in the country were in San Jose, SF, Oakland, LA, and either Sacramento or Long Beach can't remember the fifth. what's the common denominator there? all of those are areas where we represent most of the nurses and reflect our contracts. we also have the best contracts on pensions, retiree health, health benefits, and a wide variety of patient care protections, including ratios, floating, lift teams, and language barring the use of new technology to displace nurses or replace their professional judgment - a very significant growing issue.... the proof in the pudding is the fact that so many nurses around the country have been calling us seeking to join CNA, including nurses currently represented by SEIU. the main reason we're in an election in Las Vegas now is that the nurses there have seen our California contracts and their own failed representation and know they can do better...

3- contracts with ratios. here's the difference ours have real enforcement language to assure compliance with the ratios, theirs do not

4- Ohio. do you really think it is a good precedent to have employers petitioning for elections without a single signed union card? is that not exactly what was a common occurrence in the 20s and 30s that led to the NLRA. is that a good way to build a union? is sending one joint letter from the union and the employer and telling workers they can not talk about the union or the election a good way to build the union? or is it possible that these practices feed cynicism about unions and the perception that their employer is picking their union and workers are being shut out of the process. one of their leaders told Labor Notes she had not heard from the union in weeks... the thrust of the seiu argument is that they spent a lot of money on a corporate campaign and thus they essentially own the workers. sorry, nurses are not chattel.

finally, the point they always avoid- they made the decision to call off the election, not us. if it was such a great deal for the workers, and if the workers really wanted to be affiliated with seiu, why not just go ahead with the election? unions hold elections all the time in the face of opposition far worse than our objections to their shady deal in Ohio -- if there is real support.

5- disempowering workers in organizing, which their Ohio agreement effectively does, is an extension of what they routinely now do in facilities where they already represent members. much of what they do now is shift bargaining from the shop floor to the top levels of SEIU. a new trend is effectively ending representation in their facilities, now replaced with call centers where workers must call to get help not available from reps on the ground. signing contracts that reduce the voice and power of workers in the workplace, such as their nursing home pact in California which barred the union from reporting safety violations except where specifically required by law in extreme cases, and giving management the exclusive right to negotiate wages, benefits, working conditions, outsource union jobs, and barring picketing and strikes... again does this behavior build the power of workers, encourage workplace democracy or participation in the union, or undermine it... and, of course, when the workers rebel, they're met with a crackdown, as is occurring right now with UHW, rigging of elections for delegates to the convention in Puerto Rico, and the use of employer funds to rig a local election in Las Vegas (articles below)

6- with all their whining about "raiding", it's a common practice for SEIU. it's exactly what they are doing to a militant teachers union in Puerto Rico. but apparently it's not "raiding" when conducted by them against anyone else.