[lbo-talk] Krugman's neo-peakism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Apr 17 19:58:53 PDT 2008

[The world growth number is the interesting addition to the argument -- I didn't realize it had increased so enormously.]

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/oil-numbers/

April 15, 2008, 9:02 pm

Krugman NYT blog

Oil numbers

There are two basic facts that would seem to explain a lot about

what's happening to oil prices.

First, Gross World Product growth has accelerated -- from 2.9

percent in the 90s to almost 5 percent in recent years, according to

the IMF. All of this is because of growth in emerging economies,

largely China.

Second, world oil production has stalled -- after growing around

1.6% a year in the 90s, it's been basically flat for the last three

years.

So we've got rapidly growing demand due to industrialization in Asia

colliding with stagnant supply, basically because oil is getting

hard to find. (The demand shock is probably even bigger than the GDP

number suggests, because China's economy is highly

energy-inefficient).

And the demand for oil is price-inelastic -- that is, it takes big

price increases to persuade people to use significantly less.

There's probably more to the story, but that seems to be the basic

thrust. And it seems to be a recipe for rising prices for a long

time to come.

This is what peak oil is supposed to look like -- not Oh My God

We've Just Run Out Of Oil, but steady pressure on the economy and

the way we live from rising energy prices and their consequences.

And it doesn't matter much whether we're literally at the peak, or

whether production can rise by a few million more barrels a day;

unless there are big sources of oil out there, we'll be feeling

peakish for the foreseeable future.