[lbo-talk] LBO's Union Experts, I Call Upon Ye!

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 05:10:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:46 PM, kenneth morgan <generalstrike2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I saw some figures a few years ago that show union organizing campaigns, which have an overall success rate of around 50%, have a much higher success rate in hotels and hospitals than in manufacturing. I forgot the exact figures. This is the main reason for union organizing resources in those area.-Ken M

This is objectively true, but it excludes a number of rather obvious factors, to wit:

1. The particular unions organizing in these sectors.

2. The quality and breadth of their campaigns.

3. The expansion vs. contraction of their respective industries.

Etc.

I have yet to encounter an SEIU spokesperson so partisan that he or she will claim that the union would achieve similar success in a growing or shrinking industry, with comprehensive or nominal organizing drives.