[lbo-talk] What Have We Learned, If Anything?

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Apr 19 21:17:26 PDT 2008

On Fri, April 18, 2008 9:52 pm, Chris Doss wrote:

> You mean like what the Romans did to Carthage and the
> Hebrews to Jericho?

Total slaughter has been around since competing tribes of hominids fought over the right to gnaw on the local mastodon carcass. But there's a qualitative leap from killing small settlements of people -- population numbers for most of prehistory were tiny -- to the early modern destruction of entire continents for the sake of exchange-value.

I find it fascinating and symptomatic that Judt wails loudly about violence, but can't be bothered to mention the inconvenient truth that the US spends $800 billion every year on the industrialized variant of hominid head-bashing. That's half the military spending of Planet Earth.

-- DRR