[lbo-talk] Reading suggestions needed

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 23:48:09 PDT 2008

Not in India, but close enough: Orwell, Burmese Days E.M. Forster, A Passage To India (maybea bit tough for a 14 year old, but my daughter read it at that age) Rushdie's Midnight's Children is possible, but might be too tough going. Likewise,and also long, Paul Scott;' The Raj Quartet, still worth a true. I would not skip Gandhi' Autobiography Oddly, Kipling is very good on India, you have to read through the imperialist bias of course, but the prose is crystalline, and the short storues are bite size, See Plain Tales From The Hills; the pooems are the finest doggerel written in English verse. Most Indian writers acknowledge his insight and power.

The holocaust: Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally, Primo Levi, If This Is A Man (aka Survival in Auschwitz) -- avoid Elie Wiesel like death, he is aliar and the truth is not in him William Styron, Sophie's Choice Ann Frank, The Diary (the unabridged version) Anatoly Kuznetsov, Heavy Sand (about the Babi Yar massacre) There's a section in the great Soviet samizdat novcel, by Vassiky Grossman, Life and Fate, that takes a character from her home into the gas chambers, it's free standing you have to ferrret it out, but it is probably the best and most unbearable think ever written about the holocaust If you want a piece of history, there is a one vol. edition of Raul Hilberg The Destruction of the European Jews, best thing on the subject, a little dry