[lbo-talk] To each according to work

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 03:51:20 PDT 2008

Ted Winslow wrote:

> ... Marx makes this point in the preamble to the

> claim that the ideal distribution principle that

> would be actualized in such a community is: "From

> each according to his ability, to each according

> to his needs!"

> That such a principle proved impracticable in the

> former Soviet Union...

I'm not so sure I buy this. The Soviet Union was under embargo and/or siege for almost every single year of its existence. That they didn't deliver the consumer goods under those circumstances doesn't exactly invalidate the concept. It's like saying that the principles of capitalism were discounted as impracticable by the fact that the English had food rationing from 1940 all the way through 1953.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at gmail.com