[lbo-talk] To each according to work

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 06:11:03 PDT 2008

Carrol:

> I find this discussion so absurd that I have been
> simply unable to complete the reading of a single
> post from the thread.

It is another symptom of fetishized thinking that projects capitalist society backwards and *forwards* in time. Another recent example on this list was the conception of prices as merely a neutral technical instrument for effecting desired changes in behavior.

"The fact, that in the particular form of production with which we are dealing, viz., the production of commodities, the specific social character of private labour carried on independently, consists in the equality of every kind of that labour, by virtue of its being human labour, which character, therefore, assumes in the product the form of value – this fact appears to the producers, notwithstanding the discovery above referred to, to be just as real and final, as the fact, that, after the discovery by science of the component gases of air, the atmosphere itself remained unaltered."

Capital, Volume One

"To be just as real and final" as the composition of the atmosphere. And then there is the famous example of the Neanderthal's hand axe as a form of "capital".

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ