[lbo-talk] Reading suggestions needed

generalstrike2000 at yahoo.com generalstrike2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 11:07:46 PDT 2008

Doug, please unsubscribe me from list. Thanx. Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:06:36 To:lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Reading suggestions needed

On Apr 21, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Angelus Novus wrote:
> Doug Henwood:
>
>> This is such an unfair representation of Norman's
> book
>
> During a European speaking tour, Finkelstein claimed
> that the World Jewish Congress of "blackmailing"
> Austria because Stuart Eizenstat threatened a boycott
> after the election of Jörg Haider.
>
> Fuck Finkelstein.

So you're passing judgment on Norman's work based on one remark? Nothing about how the lawyers have pocketed all the award money, and the ideological use of the Holocaust to promote Israeli policy? Do you have any idea what American discourse around Israel is like? Does the fact that there are actual anti-Semites and neo-Nazis in Europe blind you to what goes on here?

>> Sometimes I think you're as unreliable about Europe
>> as a hardcore anti-American leftist is about the
> USA.
>
> Hatred and Love are sentiments I reserve for people.
> Nation, State, and Capital are objects of critique.

Who said anything about love and hate? In your comments on the German health care system, for example, you couldn't concede that, despite its faults, it's better than the American one.