[lbo-talk] I Hate Daniel Goldhagen. (Was Re: Reading suggestions needed

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at balliol.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 01:01:18 PDT 2008

On 22/4/08 03:23, "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And it got him tenure at Harvard, which
> tells you more about Harvard than Goldhagen...

It would, if true, but it's not true: Harvard never gave tenure to Goldhagen. (He was once an associate prof. In the Government Department, but they don't have tenure at Harvard; he never applied for tenure, and, if he had, Harvard wouldn¹t have been able to tenure him without tearing up most of its existing procedures regarding confidential peer review, etc.) Goldhagen did teach at Harvard for years after Hitler's Willing Executioners came out, I think, but mostly it's been part-time teaching in the Social Studies program, which I imagine is on a fairly ad hoc basis (though they probably called him a "lecturer" rather than an "adjunct").

Chris